Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A preggy journal

Today we attended our first birthing class and one of the suggestions made by the nurse who runs the program, is to have some form of way to record down our journey, so that we can benefit our child in the future. Since it is now week 31 and I have been unsuccessful in keeping any journals of any sort throughout this journey, it's still not too late to start. Better now than never yeah?

So we first discovered our pregnancy when we were halfway through our trip in Alaska. I was 5 days late and showing some symptoms - really, really sore and tender breast, some bloating and general fatigue. So we drove to a Walmart on our way to Denali National Park, and actually waited for 2 more days before we tested it.

I suppose I can say the conditions were less than ideal - we were staying in a tent for 2 nights, clearly with no attached bathroom. So I peed in the communal toilet while Clifton waited outside. 1 line means you are not pregnant, and 2 lines means you are. We had a 1.5 line - 1 very dark line and 1 super faint line. After stressing and reading online about what faint line means - conclusion was there is a higher chance of it being we are pregnant than we are not. So we took it easy for the rest of the trip, tried to eat a little more healthily and made our first appointment to see an OB/GYN. On 28th August 2012, we found out our small fry exist.

Throughout the whole pregnancy, I am really blessed. No drama in the first trimester - just really really tired and needed to sleep all the time. Did not have to throw up even once, nor was there any acid reflux. The weight gain was almost negligible up until about end of second trimester - to the extent that the hubs was worried and wanted to go on a fatten hui up mission. Thankfully our doctor said it's okay and our little bub was on track in growth and weight, so I was spared.

In my second trimester, I felt like a superwoman. The fatigue was gone, I was still small and did not feel any discomfort, so was able to bounce around and drove half of the 3000 miles we clocked during the big fat family trip. I even took some rides in Universal Studios.

Now in my third trimester, I am starting to feel the energy draining from me. The first trimester feeling is back - tired, can't eat much, now adding 15 lbs of weight, an active little girl kicking and moving all the time, and a tummy that I no longer know my clearance distance. A body that does not look like it belongs to me, and it will continue to grow for the next 8 weeks and 2 days. I am told, it is a blessing to feel the moving of the baby because it means she is well, even if she keeps me awake from all the movement. *weak smile*

Back to positive thoughts - here is what we did while I was pregnant :

First trimester : Went to New York and Alaska
Second trimester : Went to the Great Smoky Mountains, went on a Thanksgiving trip to Destin and New Orleans with our friends, did a big 3 week family trip to Atlanta, St Augustine, Cape Canaveral, Miami, Keys, Orlando, Great Smoky Mountains (again)
Third trimester : Went to Yellowstone National Park and its surrounding.

So dear baby Emma, I am in full expectation that you will grow up being an adventurous girl who loves travelling, because mum and dad brought you to so many places before you were even born. xx

No comments: