Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Is this a reflection of our society?

First of all, a disclaimer that I have no experience with the healthcare in the home country - this is purely from my hearsay of others who have gone through the experience vs what I am experiencing in this country.

So I attended my third childbirth class and concluded that


  1. This country really allows people choices - from having your own birth plan, allowing the dad to participate during the birth, positions you can birth from, coping mechanism they provide and allow during contractions are all unheard of back home.
  2. Interesting to note that back home, there are "packages" which basically tells you that you have 8 hours in the delivery suite, any more, you need to pay extra.
  3. Choices are not given to you UNLESS you ask - otherwise they will just perform what is normal.
Is this a reflection of our society - where time = money and efficiency and 'chopchop-ness' outweighs the rights, preferences and comfort of mums (to the extend where I am hearing epistomy is not common and only necessary if baby is in distress, v.s. back home where it is fairly common. I wonder if it is a preventive measure instead of doing so only when necessary - cut already easier for baby to pop out = faster and more effective).

I find this pretty disturbing considering I am returning home for good and should I decide to have a second child, I will have to fight for my own rights and preferences. Or maybe I am mistaken - only public hospitals are such and the "high class" private ones are the same. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.