Tuesday, July 01, 2003

The age old decision - Finance or Marketing

And I sort of came up with a conclusion. Although I am not too sure how long this decision is going to stay with me. In general, I kind of thought of the pros and cons:

Marketing: Easier to study and graduate. Higher chance of getting honours. Not so stress. Should be more fun. But not as marketable. General. Anyone can do it.

Finance: Tough. Boring. Lots of numbers. But useful. Very. Why?

A book I read taught me that many well educated people in this world are not finacially educated. They earn more, spend more and get themselves into a vicious cycle where they worry of not having enough money to pay off their mortage loans and credit card bills. They work for people. And fear being sacked, prays hard to get retirement pensions. The people in the rat race.

But rich people are financially educated, they know how to make money work for them, buying in good stocks and practically live off their dividends and royalties (for writing a book like that). In other words, are able to stop working but still can manage to live a comfortable life.

Of course you do not need to be a major in Finance to know all of that, or in a sense, become a Rich Man. But then, since I'm paying school fees anyway, and will want to learn about all these one day, why not go along with the flow and learn it from school.

Convincing? Now I just have to convince myself and my friend.

No comments: