Monday, April 02, 2007

i have a map of the world on my wall

So here's the thing. One bored night in at Cui's I decided to shop on ebay for a map. Found one funky looking one for £0.50. Ultra dopey! With shipping, its still nothing (maps cost like $20 for the size of the one I got)

It may be just paper, not laminated - even better. I wanted to poke pins to show where I have been.

I ran the Find Singapore in 30 seconds test with the English - none of them succeeded.

Anyway, so if I want to tape it on my wall and poke pins, I need it to be on some surface right? Cos Singapore walls are bricks (don't give me that duh look, my wall in London was made of wood) and even if my mum don't scream at me, my pins will have to be hammered in.

So instead, I decided to go buy a styrofoam. This styrofoam has to be BIG, cos my map is big. In the end, I bought a styrofoam that is exactly the same height as my boyfriend (6ft) from Artfriend and carried it on the bus (cos it won't fit in a cab) ignoring all stares. Peak hour after work? Who cares! I sat at the last few adjacent seats of a double decker and the styrofoam was like about 5 seats long and people who were sitting beside me had to walk one tiny round around the styrofoam to alight but I pretended to not notice. I cut it to the exact size of the map, pinned the map on it, and mounted it on my wall. YAY!

Today, I bought 2 boxes of map-pins (yeah they are actually call map pins!). One red one, and a blue one.

Excitedly, I took the red ones and starting mapping out the places I've been. I took a step back and stared.

The world is so big and I have only been to so little places. I cannot take it.








I wanted to open the blue ones and map out the places you've been but I think you'd be happier doing it yourself. So I'm resisting the urge and await patiently for your return.

1 comment:

MrGreenMonkey said...

haha when i get back, blue forces will provide reinforcements. But this only paves the way for purple forces to cover the world. aiyo i so army right. :)