Monday, March 05, 2007

How did you do it, hui?

How did you, in London, manage to go out every other day during the busiest period in the season, drink so much booze because it is so cheap and because you are so stressed you don't want to go back to that miserable room you call home and rather chill out and complain with your colleagues, then stagger home and tip toe into the house, most of the time alone, collapse into bed with make up, contact lens, work clothes all on, then wake up on time at 7-ish the next day, shower, go to work, and still manage to go to the gym during lunch time and run for half an hour? And then after work go out and drink so much booze just because.

But yet now, at a job that requires that much less brain power to function (ahh, perhaps that is the reason) and less workload less stress, with MSN, email and every website you want to surf available at your fingertips, plus unlimited supply of good Starbucks coffee, still be so restless so tired?

What happened to the bubble of energy hui? Who burst it?

Anyhoo, this is my first (real) attempt at being a responsible back end support. I've always been in the front line, lalala with the clients, wax lyrical on the phone while twirling the telephone cord, and then throw the work at my operations and wait for the results. But now, I have to be the one doing the proposal. I need to be meticulous, sharp, and most of all, organised.

What a challenge (no sacarsm intended) it is. Being organised is never one of the strengths I dare boast about at interviews, and I have, in quite a few interviews, admitted that administrative work isn't one of my strong points.

And yet now.

But it's actually pretty cool. Having already build rapport with my boss (and taking advantage of it) I tend to be able to get away with small things. Like drinking beer in the office at 5pm. And sitting at the manager's office and shake leg. Or walk around the office bare footed. Or delibrately forgetting to lift the toilet seat up. But all of the sudden, I realised, hui isn't hui anymore. The hui who used to like to try to siam and get away with everything suddenly want to prove her worth to herself. So many things I have no idea how the f I can get around doing it? I don't even ask. I try to find out myself. Even though it takes me 20 mins, once I get it, I sibei song leh.

Aiyo, I think I'm all grown up.


What I stare at, everyday. This (and the person in the picture below) brings a smile to my face every day.

No comments: